July 7 finds us full throttle into the second of three Mercury Retrogrades in water signs this year, this one beginning in fiery Leo, and rolling back into Cancer mid-July though the end of the month.
And with its onset, comes the dread of another three weeks of computer and electronic glitches, delayed plans, magically disappearing emails and texts, and other annoying phenomenon that has given Mercury Retrograde a pretty bad rap.
Can I just say, I have been staying at my mothers (who is a Leo) and a few days before Mercury Retrograde commenced, an overhead pipe broke, causing part of the ceiling to collapse, and shorting out the electricity in a portion of her apartment!
I’m not one to blame all mishaps on MR, but the symbolism of water, and the Leo Mother, and the electronics shorting out was quite the coinkidink.
And let’s face it, Mercury Retrograde is convenient to blame lol.
All kidding aside, there are a lot of fear based beliefs circulating around about Mercury Retrograde, almost to the point where, when talking to some people, you can almost hear the Darth Vader theme music playing in the background as you discuss its approach.
However, aside from the common beliefs around it, such as it not being a good time to sign contracts, travel, or embark on new plans, etc, I think we can really underestimate or straight up ignore the powerful healing window opened by Mercury Retrograde, or any retrograding planet for that matter.
First and foremost, Mercury Retrograde ushers in these healing potentials as a time to implement the prefix “Re” in some way to aid our personal spiritual growth and evolution such as re-vise, re-new, re-consider, re-evaluate or re-define some aspect of our inner most being or lives.
And with Mercury ruling the mental body, and ultimately our thoughts which are the building blocks of our beliefs and ultimately the way we view our reality, what Mercury Retrograde truly is a 3 week window to upgrade our reality through the re-vision, re-newal, re-consideration, etc of our thoughts and beliefs.
What Exactly Occurs When Mercury Goes Retrograde?
When Mercury goes retrograde, it creates the optical illusion that the planet’s normal orbit around the sun is going backwards.
All planets in our solar system orbit the Sun in the same direction at varying speeds, with inner planets such as Mercury and Venus moving much faster than outer planets such as Neptune and Pluto
As a result, the Earth often laps these planets in its journey around the Sun, giving the illusion that a planet is travelling backwards for a time from the vantage point of the Earth.
So, for example, if you have 2 cars are driving down the street in the same direction, and one car is driving faster than the other and you pass by the slower, it will appear the slower one is going backwards.
So basically, retrograde occurs when a faster moving planet catches up to and passes a slower moving planet, and how this appears from the vantage point of the Earth.
As a speedy inner planet, Mercury, which orbits the Sun in 88 days, as opposed to Earth’s 365, will lap Earth and appear to be going backwards because of its relative position to the Earth and how it is moving around the Sun.
Now that we have the astronomy lesson down, what is Mercury Retrograde in Leo/Cancer Serving Up?
As I stated previously, Mercury Retrograde is beginning its illusionary moonwalk in fire sign Leo through July 20 where it will roll back into Cancer through the 31st.
So it will actually be spending almost equal time in both signs.
In this instance when you have a dual sign retrograde it plays out like a 2 act play, where the energies of one sign influence the readjustment of our thoughts and communications, as a prelude to the influence of the second sign, as the shifts in one in necessary and a prerequisite for the shifts in the other.
In turn, both shades of the signs create an entire picture for healing, growth and self mastery.
Let’s begin with Act One: Mercury Retrograde in Leo.
Leo is a fixed fire sign ruled by the Sun, which represents the Self, right use of Ego, our pride and confidence, optimism, leadership, creativity, and how we, much like the actual luminary, shine our Authentic Selves out into the World.
Traditionally in astrology, Leo represents generosity, creativity, love of romance and parties and social gatherings, and children.
And basically living larger than life!
Leo is also rules the Heart and when we have a lot of action going on in Leo, it provides us with the impetus to align with and follow our hearts.
Mercury Retrograde is going to help us to rethink what following our hearts means to us, including the re-evaluation of what is near and dear to our hearts through re-flection, and shifting of our core values and expanding consciousness.
Leo loves to be the center of attention, and transiting Mercury Retrograde there will allow us to take a deeper look to see whether it is in fact us who is playing the starring role in our Life Movie, or if we are being a supporting actor/actress, and make the necessary modifications through what we discover.
And because we are talking about the mental body, and the realm of thought and belief some of the things that will be highlighted are beliefs and programming where we are putting our true needs and desires on the back burner through low self worth/esteem/and confidence.
It will support us in exposing the root of second hand realities that we have taken on that default us into remaining small and limited and all the ways that obscures the magnificent solar light of our Self Expression and what is truly in our hearts as opposed to our “shoulds”.
For those who are in ensnarled in Narcissistic abusive relationships, it will be especially sobering.
This is because Narcissism is a shadow manifestation of Leo’s sometimes larger that life Ego, which, when left unchecked, can be “all about me”, with no to little concern about you.
In fact, this is the very foundation of Narcissistic Abuse as the role both players play set up imbalance through the empath/codependent whose programming is: “It’s all about you.” and the Narcissists programming is: “It is all about me”
As you can imagine, that never ends well.
And thus, this upcoming Mercury Retrograde can be quite instrumental in helping those trapped in these relationship dynamics to find their way out.
As a bit of a spoiler alert, I will be doing a healing call on this during this Retrograde Period, so if that resonates for you, stay tuned.
On the flip side, it will also help illuminate Narcissistic Tendencies within the Self, where we believe it is “all about us” with little to no concern about who we might be hurting or displacing as a result.
An example of this might be trying to get in Union with a married Twin Flame by any means necessary without caring about the damage this might do to the children, spouse, and others involved in the situation, and/or a superficial regard (or straight disregard)for how difficult this may be to the Twin Flame.
In this instance, the priority is what we want (all about me), and not what is in the Highest Good of all involved.
As these a-ha’s and insights begin to pour in through feedback from what is showing up in our lives, and our willingness to open to the self reflection and prompting of our Higher Selves, we gather up the information and take it back into Cancer in the middle of the month.
Act Two: Rollback into Cancer and the Tide Pool Of Emotions
Cardinal water sign Cancer is ruled by the Moon, which is the Highest Expression of the Divine Feminine Principle.
Where Mercury rules the mental body, the Moon rules the emotional body, in addition to the subconscious.
Cancer also represents these attributes, in addition to the Mother, home, our private selves, our early foundations and childhood, the past, and our roots.
In its negative expression, it can highlight a lack of objectivity, co-dependency (the breeding ground for Narcissistic Abuse, I might add), moodiness, and being disconnected from one’s emotions.
As Mercury backpedals into Cancer and throughout the remainder of the Retrograde Period, we will be gifted with the opportunity to see, first and foremost, the subconscious programming and illusionary beliefs about our Selves, which dim our light and default us out of the center stage in our lives, ciphon our energy through pursuits that really are not the true desires of our heart, or otherwise show where we are compromised in really operating from a place and space of wholeness within our worth.
This trail of breadcrumbs, for many will take us back to the past where the original entry point for this programming is, be it childhood (most likely), or a past life, and for many, ancestral from the Maternal Lineage.
As a result, this is a potent window to heal the Inner Child, purify the emotional body, and make peace with aspects of our past that prevent us with the Joyful and Abundant Living that Leo is all about.
Additionally, there are five other Leo/Cancer themed healing potentials present with this Mercury Retrograde in Leo/Cancer that you may see playing out for you to varying degrees including:
- The deactivation of emotional triggers. When things are “all about you” (Leo) and/or you are operating from the more negative aspects of Ego (also Leo), it becomes all the more easier to be emotionally triggered (Cancer)when unhealed aspects of the Self collide with people, beliefs, and other information that press on certain core wound points. For example, if you carry deep wounds of betrayal and rejection, any sign of that in your relationships, whether real or perceived, are going to trigger that fear of betrayal and rejection, and as a result, you default into fear and begin to choose words and actions to stave off your fear. Deactivating those places and spaces through emotional healing, and moving into neutral observer mode create an inner fortitude and strength, where you remain in you calm center and can act from that place, rather than react from your wounded inner child consciousness.
- “Head start” for the Lion’s Gate on 8.8. Lion’s Gate is a yearly occurrence on August 8, where we receive powerful ascension codes that we assimilate and activate according to our level of consciousness and vibration. I had an ascension mentor who once told me that ascension is 99% emotional clearing. Depending on how we choose to respond to what comes up for us during this Mercury Retrograde, and how deep we are willing to plunge into our own Shadow, and Inner Work, this can be an opportunity to truly move to the next level, as we vibrate out of the old template, or as Yeshua once said, “Putting new wine into new wineskins.”
- Opportunity to heal past hurts through deeper and more sensitive communication in our personal relationships. Where egos may flare and personal agendas may vie for center stage during the earlier part of the retrograde cycle, while in Leo, the shift into emotionally in tuned Cancer toward the end, we may experience an increase of sensitivity, and connecting to ones heart and truth, and new ways to communicate that to one another to bring healing to strained relationships.
- The return to and completion of creative projects In the earlier days of Mercury Retrograde, you may find the rekindling of passion for a pursuit that you may have abandoned, because remember creativity is Leo’s territory. As Mercury skips back to Cancer, it provides a tapping back into the inner promptings and emotional investment received when you initially began, perhaps with new insights or ideas to take it to the next level. In this way, we learn that sometimes when things don’t come together, it is not because they are not meant to be, but because there is sometimes new information and understanding needed to take it to greatness that we are not ready for or dont have access to at a given time.
- A retreat into our shells to self care and nurture. During the earlier part of the retrograde, while in Leo, we may become quite the social butterfly, as Leo loves to be the life of the party. However, with the shift into Cancer later in July, we may find ourselves withdrawing to take refuge into our private space for much needed time to re-flect and re-assess what we need and want for ourselves and for our emotional security. Or it may be to simply re-charge, building our reserves back up for a new set of adventures or planetary service.
Just FYI, Leo and Cancer Suns, Moons, Ascendants, and those with natal Inner Planets in those signs will find these dynamics occurring more intensely than any other sign.
However, regardless of your personal planetary profile, the window is still open for a powerful shift of ones own personal Life Force, Emotions, and Inner Child Consciousness, not to mention yet another “bump up” in vibration in preparation for another shift in timeline.
Be especially aware of what started to come into view for you around June 20, as this was the beginning of the pre-shadow of this retrograde when the players and situations began to appear on stage.
Things will really begin to heat up and reach critical mass, with Lion’s Gate serving as a very potent tipping point, and take us through the post-shadow Mercury Retrograde in mid-August where we will see what this was serving to create for us, and integrate into our essence and consciousness.
We are in for a wild ride. Just know whatever appears for you and how this retrograde period plays itself out is serving as a springboard to the next level.